Across the vast land of Russia are scattered a numerous number of large cities and small towns where we can see legendary buildings dating back from the long past. These historic places vividly demonstrate architectural talents of Russians. Through strenuous recovery efforts, many of the ancient Russian buildings including 12th and 13th century white stone chapels have been restored to their original beauty to charm visitors.
In addition, frescos, ornaments and artistic handicrafts worked out in a variety of styles by great artists that typically adorn the medieval Russian churches, and superb architectural examples of ancient Russia displayed at open-air museums all demonstrate their inestimable aesthetic value.
The historic, architectural and artistic heritage is the glory and pride of Russia. With an elevated pride in their tradition, the Russians have overcome tumultuous periods. Today democratic Russia is ready for a new transition, mentally sustained by its history and culture, together with its spiritual advancement for more than one thousand years.
Russian territory expands from Asia through Europe with immeasurable scale. Its extensive, rich diversity in history, art and topography strikes many visitors. With more cities are opened for foreigners now, the country accumulates undiscovered fascination.
Capital city of Russian Federation, which celebrated 850th anniversary of its foundation with various ceremonies and events in 1997. The centre of politics, economy and culture in Russia.
Kremlin: The principle sightseeing spot in Moscow, the building served as the seat of power in Imperial Russia era until 1703. The name used to stand for Soviet Government since the palace was turned to be the Union Congress of Soviets the site after the Revolution.
The Armory: Built as a repository to manufacture and store arms and armors in 16 century, the building turned to be a museum in 1702 by the order of Peter I. Now the museum exhibits treasures gold, silver and jewels as well as medieval arms including armors and helmets.
Red Square: Surrounded by Northeastern wall of Kremlin, National Museum of Art and History, and GUM shopping centre, this 73000 sq. m. place was the main stage of magnificent parades on May Day and Revolution Day in Soviet era.
Cathedral of St. Basil the Blessed: Known for its nine multicoloured onion-domes, the visitor's favorite sightseeing spot is an example of cultural heritage that represents Russian architecture.
Bolshoy Theater: The sanctuary of performing arts in terms of ballet and opera with more than 200 years of history.
Tretyakov Gallery: Opened in 1856, the historical museum displays the Russian artworks of 11th century and later that were collected by Pavel and Sergei Tretyakov brothers.
St. Danilov's Monastery: The oldest monastery in Moscow and the seat of Russian Orthodox Church.
THE GOLDEN RING
Moving from Moscow to the Volga River of Northeast, you will encounter a land of many historical towns and areas: the Golden Ring. The land is punctuated with elegant cities where the beauty of medieval Russia still remains, and is called "the Golden Ring" is these ancient towns are connected by a road that almost looks like a circle.
Sergiev Posad (former Zagorsk): 70 km North-Northeast from Moscow, Sergiev Posad stands on a hill of Central Russia Plains. The town spreads around the Trinity-Saint Sergiev Lavra, which is surrounded by the walls that dates back to 16th century. Centered by the Church of Assumption, interior of the walls are sprinkled by many historical monuments including Cathedoral of the Trinity, Dukhokhzkaya Church, Bell Tower, Tzar's Palace, the Church of Smolenskaya. The town is also known for Matrushka Dolls, one of favorite Russian souvenirs for the travelers.
Suzdal: 220 km Northeast from Moscow, there is a wonderful ancient town of Suzdal. As the town features nearly 50 churches and monastries from 12-15th century, the sight of Suzdal gives an impression that the whole town is composed by the religious monuments. Visitors will find sophisticated examples of Russian Orthodox Church all over the town, including the Church of the Nativity that occupies Southwestern side of town centre, Torgovaya Square, the Monastery of the Deposition of the Robe and Savior-Epiphany Covenant.
Vladimir: With population of some 320,000, city of Vladimir is situated 190 km Northeast from Moscow. The origin of the town dates back to 1108, when Prince Vladimir Monomakh of Kiev Rus built wooden fortress. Later, the town developed as the capitol city of Vladimir-Suzdal Principality. The streets of glorious capitol days still remain unchanged through the centuries, which makes the town unrivaled.
Also known as "Venice of the North", St. Petersburg is lined by numerous waterways that highlights magnificent views of the city, particularly during White Nights. The elegant city served as the capitol of Imperial Russia. While changing the name to Petrograd, Leningrad and again to St. Petersburg as along with the course of time, the city has survived through current upheaval which engraved its footsteps.
St. Isaac's Cathedral: Currently opened as a museum, the Cathedral points the sky in the South side of Decembrist Square.
State Hermitage Museum: Most important sightseeing spot in St. Petersburg. As well as British Museum and the Louvre, State Hermitage is known as one of the Big Three museum of the world. Its 1050 chambers contain 2.5 million pieces of collection.
Peter and Paul Fortress: The roots of St. Petersburg. The glorious history of the city started with the construction of the fortress on May 16, 1703, the city's birthday.
Mariinsky Theater of Opera and Ballet (former Kirov Theater): Prominent theater of opera and ballet in St. Petersburg, well known to the world in tandem with Bolshoy Theater in Moscow.
Peter's Palace: Prestigious Summer palace of Peter the Great, its majestic splendor and large scale can be compared with Versailles Palace. The whole site resembles an outdoor museum with a number of beautiful gardens, connected by promenades with marble sculptures, and sprinkled by different types of fountains.
Pushkin City: The city was named after great Russian poet Pushkin, who studied at a noblemen's school here. Tzar's Summer Palace, Catherine Palace ant many other monuments are located in the city.